The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Sports Betting
Here at YFB, its fair to say we know our stuff when it comes to sports betting. Masters of this exciting and often profitable game, we nonetheless understand that not everyone is as well-versed in its subtleties as we are, which is why we decided to write this article. Created as the ultimate beginners guide, its about to teach you all there is to learn before you put your money on the line
What is sports betting?
One of the oldest forms of gambling in existence, sports betting is a pastime unlike any other. Giving people like you the chance to bet on the outcomes of sporting events, it has maintained its popularity for hundreds of years, and theres one very good reason for this: its supremely enjoyable and superbly simple.
Of course, it has changed a fair amount over the centuries. Although the basic concept remains the same as ever, sports betting today is an art anyone can indulge in. Popular all around the world, its as commonly played online as it is off, with modern devices frequently acting as the medium through which people place their bets.
This evolution doesnt mean its in any way complicated. The premise is a straightforward one: you simply put your money on whichever outcome you think is most likely. If youre correct, you win and increase your stake; if youre not, your capital is lost.
As easy as this concept is, it certainly doesnt hurt to know as much as you can and an ambition our online betting school can help you achieve. After all, the more you know, the more likely you are to reap the rewards.
Why bet on sports?
Now you know what sports betting is, you might wonder why its worth your time to give it a go. The answer to this question is manifold, which is why weve split it up into some easy-to-understand bullet points:
- Its simple to learn: The basics of sports betting are incredibly straightforward, which means that absolutely anyone can give it a go, and even enjoy some financial successes.
- Theres money to be made: As will always be the case where gambling is concerned, there can be no guarantees of monetary profits. However, the outcome is not entirely down to Lady Luck, but also your knowledge of both sports betting and the sport itself. Learn to expertly read the lay of the land, and you could earn a handsome profit.
- Its enjoyable: Perhaps the best reason to indulge in sports betting is also the simplest one - that it really can be fun. Most of those who dice with fortune do so for no other reason than they enjoy it; any profits they make are just an added bonus.
- Placing bets is easy: One more point in its favour is that sports betting keeps its processes as simple and straightforward as possible. This means that placing bets is incredibly easy. In fact, youll rarely need to leave the comfort of your own home to do so!
Which sports can I bet on?
Part of the beauty of sports betting lies in its diversity. Allowing you to wager your money on everything from major football games to more minor sports like badminton, it gives you the chance to play to your strengths, so you can use your real life knowledge to make informed guesses as to the outcome of any events that take your fancy.
The sports you bet on might include:
- Motor racing
- Mixed Martial Arts
Essentially, if there's the possibility of either winning or losing, you can usually place a bet on it.
How do I bet?
Probably the easiest and most popular way to make a bet today is to do so online. Ever since the first sports betting sites sprang up, people have flocked to them, and its easy to understand why. Giving you the necessary tools to place your bets with no more than a click or two, theyve made speculating more streamlined and straightforward than it has ever been before. They even offer bonuses and rewards up to and including free bets to keep you coming back for more.
What markets can I bet on?
Once you know how to bet, youll also need to think about which markets you want to bet on. These might include:
- Corners: Put simply, the corners market allows you to bet on anything relating to corners that might occur during the course of a game (usually of football). This could translate to everything from the total number of corners being over or under a certain amount all the way through to one team having more corners than the other.
- Cards: Another phenomenon you could bet on is the number of cards issued. This works by having the bettor take a guess as to how many card points will be accrued, either by an individual player or throughout the entirety of the game.
- Goal scores: Perhaps most obviously, you can also bet on goals: how many total goals will be scored per match, when the first goal will be scored, or even which team will strike lucky first.
What are the different types of bets?
We thought it best to conclude our article with a brief introduction to the many different wagers that are out there. The sheer number of these often takes beginners by surprise, so if you want to learn a little more about them, here are a few of the terms you might wish to google.
- Win bets
- Total bets
- Point spreads